1950-1970年間是台灣天主教宣教的興盛期，而菁寮聖十字架堂正是在這段時間，建立在農業集散區的重要宣教基地。從Gottfried Bohm 1955年開啟設計，期間經過多次的設計調整修正，歷經五年分兩期工程正式完工。
Between the 1950s and the 1970s, it was the flourishing period of Catholic mission inTaiwan. During this period, Jingliao Holy Cross Church was established as an important mission base in the agricultural distribution area. Gottfried Böhm started the design in 1955, after multiple design adjustments and revisions, the project was officially completed in two phases spanning five years.
However, over the decades of use, with the changes of time, functional needs, and the challenges of the climate, the building has undergone many repairs and changes. In 2013, Paul Böhm, the son of Gottfried Böhm, was invited to Taiwan. After inspecting his father's work, he proposed an architectural plan for renovation and expansion, which is expected to be implemented.
The ongoing construction of the Jingliao Holy Cross Church, not only presents the old and new needs of the building itself but also reflects the various changes brought about by the passage of time. The church traces every step taken throughout post-war Taiwan’s society and the architectural profession over time.